Body cameras have a range of uses and designs, particularly purposeful for frontline workers in the police, fire and military fields. Body cameras not only enhance the sense of awareness and security among your team but can also help reduce the threat to life, reduce security threats and record public interactions.
Lightweight and easily attached to uniforms, body-worn cameras allow you to monitor, guide and counsel your team in real time, capturing video, audio and GPS. It’s also the best ‘lone worker’ safety device.
Well established in certain applications such as law enforcement and private security patrols, the wider availability of high-quality, cost-effective devices has also seen increased use in a range of commercial applications such as public transportation, healthcare, remote workers, emergency service responders, etc. Body cameras are not just for law enforcement but personal protection too.
Regulatory agencies throughout Australia and internationally now use body worn cameras (BWCs) to provide extra security, transparency, and for use as evidence.
Research shows that the use of BWCs has many benefits including:
• deterring negative behaviour
• making it easier to review conduct complaints
• reducing how often offenders refuse to pay infringements (and instead choose to go to court)
• providing supporting evidence in the investigation of breaches of legislation
• deterring bribes offered to inspectors
• Increase the efficiency of people management
• Enhance the protection of property or assets
Yes, body-worn cameras have been shown to result in higher rates of compliance to officer commands during law enforcement encounters.
Yes, body-worn cameras result in greater transparency and accountability and thus lessen the likelihood of people complaining and alleging poor behaviour by police and security personnel without being certain. They also assist in more speedy resolution of complaints.
When looking at purchasing a body camera, make sure to consider the following:
• Size - compact, unobtrusive and lightweight
• Easily attach to clothing
• Camera lens with wide angle of view
• Robust and suitable for variety of weather conditions
• Long battery life
• Decent resolution
• Large data storage capacity
• Night vision & infrared for those in security and military professions